Latest topics
» cholesterol fish oil supplements
August 3rd 2011, 5:05 pm by Guest

» Dude, so much AD here, why not clean them all?
August 3rd 2011, 6:03 am by Guest

» radków domki
August 3rd 2011, 1:24 am by Guest

» ordering tramadol online
August 2nd 2011, 9:55 pm by Guest

» niechorze domki kakadu
August 2nd 2011, 1:25 am by Guest

» taking fish oil supplements
August 2nd 2011, 12:06 am by Guest

» play casino games free
August 1st 2011, 9:56 pm by Guest

» pokoje inspiracje
August 1st 2011, 2:28 am by Guest


New Philly GM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Philly GM

Post  Ktulu on January 26th 2011, 4:27 pm

Hey, I'm Mike, the new GM in Philly. Some of you know me from the WHBL (Calgary Nighthawks), I've been out of the online scene pretty much since the WHBL folded and I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Pretty much everyone on the roster is fair game in trade talks, so shoot me a PM if you want to get started early Wink
avatar
Ktulu

Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  hbomb on January 27th 2011, 12:02 am

Welcome Kutu - looking forward to seeing the resurgence of Philadelphia. It was one of the best teams in the league several seasons back.
avatar
hbomb
Admin

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-10-29

http://www.bigleagues.org/fcb

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  stokediggity on January 28th 2011, 2:28 am

Welcome Mike. Good to see another WHBL'er in the league.
avatar
stokediggity

Posts : 77
Join date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  omniart on January 28th 2011, 2:49 am

Since we're joining the league at the same time, I propose a friendly wager: 100 imaginary internet dollars to the general manager who first makes the playoffs. Smile
avatar
omniart

Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-01-25
Age : 39
Location : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  Ktulu on January 29th 2011, 5:40 pm

Is this league even alive?

I don't mean to offend any one, but this league seems to be on it's last legs or it's already dead. From what I can tell there's been one trade this season and that was back in dec 2015. The roll call thread's been up since tuesday and it only has 2 replies. I don't see an export tracker, so I don't know how active gm's are with their teams, but from what I can see it's not looking good.

So what's going on? Am I wasting my time by getting invested in this league?
avatar
Ktulu

Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  hbomb on January 29th 2011, 6:01 pm

I don't mean to be defensive, but everyone in the league is exporting, and sims are occuring. The most active GMs here all take and respond to trade queries, and many of us have been here for multiple seasons. Louisville, for instance, had the same GM for eons. The league commish has hardly gone awol or stopped working on things, such as team graphics (this season), so I'm not sure what triggered this diagnosis.


Ktulu wrote:Is this league even alive?

I don't mean to offend any one, but this league seems to be on it's last legs or it's already dead. From what I can tell there's been one trade this season and that was back in dec 2015. The roll call thread's been up since tuesday and it only has 2 replies. I don't see an export tracker, so I don't know how active gm's are with their teams, but from what I can see it's not looking good.

So what's going on? Am I wasting my time by getting invested in this league?
[list][*]
avatar
hbomb
Admin

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-10-29

http://www.bigleagues.org/fcb

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  Ktulu on January 29th 2011, 6:41 pm

I'm just going by forum activity and in game transactions. The fact that there was only one trade in almost a calender year was pretty alarming to me (I've never seen anything close to that level of non-activity in an online league). I don't mean to disparage the work you're doing, I'm just a little concerned is all.

It's great that everyone is exporting, but if only a handful of GMs are actively participating...
avatar
Ktulu

Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  hbomb on January 29th 2011, 7:00 pm

You're more likely witnessing the death of this forum Smile
I'm about to pull the plug on the provider
avatar
hbomb
Admin

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-10-29

http://www.bigleagues.org/fcb

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  EdmontonGM on January 29th 2011, 7:07 pm

I've been in a couple OOTP leagues over at least six years, and several others that were fairly long lived and was left among the stranded when they ended-- so by that standard this is a fairly new league, not even 10 league seasons yet.

My observation is that this league does seem to have a fairly quiet bunch, but as was mentioned- exporting is good. I suggest there are some reasons for this situation. One- we did go through a commish changeover early on which may have had some dampening effect-- but it was very smooth and coordinated--no big gap waiting for someone to come forward, but it was a transition that somewhat cooled the forum somewhat.

Second, there is the combination possibly of A> too much talent has been in the drafts and B> many teams being well out of contention. I think many GMs are waiting to see that talent appear at the major league level and don't feel pressed to make trades for right away results. So there are relatively few contenders in the trade market. As I said there are not that many season under our belt so those players are only now showing up on major rosters.

If I were to suggest a couple things about this - they would be to try to lower the amount of talent in the draft so that talent gaps on teams would lead to some more trading. So review that and maybe also look at how the financials affect competition, the FA market, and trading. I usually am a low frequency trader in my other leagues, surprisingly here I am at least average, I think it is just what I mentioned before about many of the GMs here don't see a need for trades now.

One other thing, about the forum-- I would flatten and simplify its structure-- I don't necessarily know any reason why it would be helpful-- but with the low volume of postings maybe it would just be more inviting if we had fewer topics without the subtopic nesting obscuring new posts.

Back to the main theme-- I think this league is still settling in-- but with GMs obviously interested in their teams (by exporting) I think it will grow more contending teams and more activity. It may now still be looking to form some critical mass of activity-- and maybe you (our new GM) will be one to help spark that.

--------------------------------

Ok I wrote that about the forum while commish was putting in that new comment- so it looks like something will be happening already.
avatar
EdmontonGM

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  Ktulu on January 29th 2011, 7:10 pm

Cool, looking forward to the new forum (I had signed up for it and received an email saying it was waiting for admin approval before sending login info).

One question about the next sim, are you going to add in the last 3 days of the regular season (mon-wed) or will that be left over for the regularly schedule sim?
avatar
Ktulu

Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  Ktulu on January 29th 2011, 7:42 pm

EdmontonGM wrote:
Second, there is the combination possibly of A> too much talent has been in the drafts and B> many teams being well out of contention. I think many GMs are waiting to see that talent appear at the major league level and don't feel pressed to make trades for right away results. So there are relatively few contenders in the trade market. As I said there are not that many season under our belt so those players are only now showing up on major rosters.

If I were to suggest a couple things about this - they would be to try to lower the amount of talent in the draft so that talent gaps on teams would lead to some more trading. So review that and maybe also look at how the financials affect competition, the FA market, and trading. I usually am a low frequency trader in my other leagues, surprisingly here I am at least average, I think it is just what I mentioned before about many of the GMs here don't see a need for trades now.
I haven't had much of a chance to look over the rest of the teams in the league (or the other leagues), but I was surprised at how much talent Philly has. A lot of it was mismanaged in the service time department (Exhibit A: 21 yr old SP Keira, out of options and on the big league roster before he is ready, looks like he was placed on 40 man unnecessarily at 18 yrs old), but I haven't had many teams - in solo or online leagues - with as many talented players in their 20's.

Creating properly balanced universes in OOTP is a touchy thing, especially with feeder leagues. It looks like the original league creation may have been a little over ambitious with so many feeder/international/independent leagues/teams. I'm interested to see what the next draft class looks like and how free agency plays out. I think one of the problems is that 25 rounds is an awful lot for an OOTP amateur draft and 76 feeder teams is a lot for a 20 team league.

One other thing, about the forum-- I would flatten and simplify its structure-- I don't necessarily know any reason why it would be helpful-- but with the low volume of postings maybe it would just be more inviting if we had fewer topics without the subtopic nesting obscuring new posts.
It's usually best to start small and then expand as the content requires.


Back to the main theme-- I think this league is still settling in-- but with GMs obviously interested in their teams (by exporting) I think it will grow more contending teams and more activity. It may now still be looking to form some critical mass of activity-- and maybe you (our new GM) will be one to help spark that.
In all honesty, yes I was trying to stir the pot a bit with my original post Smile. Wanted to see if I could spark some sort of activity and to see how many would come to the defense of the league.
avatar
Ktulu

Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  hbomb on January 29th 2011, 9:01 pm

Two separate sims.

Ktulu wrote:Cool, looking forward to the new forum (I had signed up for it and received an email saying it was waiting for admin approval before sending login info).

One question about the next sim, are you going to add in the last 3 days of the regular season (mon-wed) or will that be left over for the regularly schedule sim?
avatar
hbomb
Admin

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-10-29

http://www.bigleagues.org/fcb

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  Ktulu on January 29th 2011, 9:01 pm

So I've been playing around with a few different ideas for a new logo/uniform for philly and thought I'd post some of them.

My initial idea, unfortunately I like the GIMP skills to pull it off like I imagined it in my head Smile Maybe I'll try it again.



Tried to work the bell into things, didn't turn out too great:



Not very original, just changed the colors on this one:



Here's the one I like the most so far even though it has nothing to do with "liberty":



avatar
Ktulu

Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  hbomb on January 29th 2011, 9:05 pm

I love the first one...

Ktulu wrote:So I've been playing around with a few different ideas for a new logo/uniform for philly and thought I'd post some of them.

My initial idea, unfortunately I like the GIMP skills to pull it off like I imagined it in my head Smile Maybe I'll try it again.



Tried to work the bell into things, didn't turn out too great:



Not very original, just changed the colors on this one:



Here's the one I like the most so far even though it has nothing to do with "liberty":



avatar
hbomb
Admin

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-10-29

http://www.bigleagues.org/fcb

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  EdmontonGM on January 29th 2011, 9:22 pm

Notwithstanding what I put up earlier-- yes it is very hard to tune OOTP, talent wise/ financial wise, etc. I know it is a really big task-- you have to experiment over a number of season, then the new version comes along and wrecks it all over again. I never like my solo league settings and I only have to satisfy myself.

It would be nice to have simple settings that would tell you just what you are going to get. Sparse talent--Dense Talent, hitting/pitching balance like the 1950s or 1970s, or 1990s, etc. Financials that make teams scramble to stay out of the red, or make them so rich every player can be signed for what they ask.
avatar
EdmontonGM

Posts : 96
Join date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  Ktulu on January 31st 2011, 7:44 pm

hbomb wrote:I love the first one...
You convinced me to go back and try again. This time I like it and I'd like to go with this...

Logo and Cap Logo:



Jersey:



Sample Player Pic:



Team Color: 020253
Team Text Color: FFFFFF
avatar
Ktulu

Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  bholmes4 on February 6th 2011, 10:46 pm

I would have made trades this season if I could have. I went over budget though but will look to be much more active in the future. Like someone else pointed out though there is an over-abundance of talent in this league so that isn't helping things either. I think we are addressing that situation but it will take a few seasons to correct itself. I still think we may need to go a step further though.
avatar
bholmes4

Posts : 158
Join date : 2010-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: New Philly GM

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum