Latest topics
» Skyrim Patch 1.9 Download Skidrow
March 19th 2014, 4:55 pm by granadan

» cholesterol fish oil supplements
August 3rd 2011, 5:05 pm by Guest

» Dude, so much AD here, why not clean them all?
August 3rd 2011, 6:03 am by Guest

» radków domki
August 3rd 2011, 1:24 am by Guest

» ordering tramadol online
August 2nd 2011, 9:55 pm by Guest

» niechorze domki kakadu
August 2nd 2011, 1:25 am by Guest

» taking fish oil supplements
August 2nd 2011, 12:06 am by Guest

» play casino games free
August 1st 2011, 9:56 pm by Guest


Draft pick signing bonuses...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you want to see draft pick signing bonuses?

58% 58% 
[ 7 ]
42% 42% 
[ 5 ]
 
Total Votes : 12

Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  San Diego on June 14th 2010, 3:42 pm

Since there have been a few who have expressed reservations about the draft pick signing bonuses, I wanted to get a thread/poll up to discuss this and see how the majority feel about it.

I personally prefer to have this turned on, as I like the added strategy. I know some have commented about some teams not being able to sign their picks, but I sort of like that you are rewarded for running a financially successful organization. Plus if a team is unable to sign a pick, they get a comp pick the following year.

Anyways I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on it. Unless an overwhelming majority are against it, I'd like to at least try it for a couple seasons...

So lets hear what you have to say...
avatar
San Diego

Posts : 516
Join date : 2009-10-23
Location : Laveen, AZ

Back to top Go down

Give it a season or two

Post  hbomb on June 14th 2010, 4:08 pm

I hear you on being fiscally responsible, however maybe it's more palatable to allow some time for implementation. Maybe announce it for 1-2 seasons out from now, to give some teams time to re-balance their books.

If it was up to me, I would turn it off, simply because I hate the idea zit-filled college/HS-level millionaires. And the only place in the game for scum, like superagent Boras, is in the parking lot, next to empty barrels of tar and boxes of feathers.

But I'm game for whatever people choose -- even if they are wrong -- and even if they do stand for everything that is ruining the game Smile
It's too bad there isn't a steroid option we could turn on or off Smile

ooooh, maybe that should be a product request for OOTP 12!
avatar
hbomb
Admin

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-10-29

http://www.bigleagues.org/fcb

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  San Diego on June 14th 2010, 5:05 pm

I hear ya on not being a fan of the real life situation, where picks with no pro experience are making more than guys who have been at it for years, but I'm all for making the league as realistic as possible and unfortunately this is the state of the game today...

Though on the bright side, I think there will be some changes in this regard when the real life CBA comes up in a few years.

I dont have a problem "adjusting" some teams who currently sit in the red or close to and giving them a one time 10 mil boost or something along those lines...then down the road if you dont have money to sign your picks, its your own doing..

hbomb wrote:I hear you on being fiscally responsible, however maybe it's more palatable to allow some time for implementation. Maybe announce it for 1-2 seasons out from now, to give some teams time to re-balance their books.

If it was up to me, I would turn it off, simply because I hate the idea zit-filled college/HS-level millionaires. And the only place in the game for scum, like superagent Boras, is in the parking lot, next to empty barrels of tar and boxes of feathers.

But I'm game for whatever people choose -- even if they are wrong -- and even if they do stand for everything that is ruining the game Smile
It's too bad there isn't a steroid option we could turn on or off Smile

ooooh, maybe that should be a product request for OOTP 12!
avatar
San Diego

Posts : 516
Join date : 2009-10-23
Location : Laveen, AZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  BradZ on June 14th 2010, 5:32 pm

I could see instituting these in another season or two when everyone has the opportunity to plan ahead for the additional expense. Not sure I would be a big fan of a 1 time boost to teams who might be in the red or close to it. What countrols would be in place to make sure those $$'s were used to sign draft picks and not go after an immediate impact FA?
avatar
BradZ

Posts : 94
Join date : 2009-10-22
Age : 40
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  San Diego on June 14th 2010, 8:54 pm

BradZ wrote:I could see instituting these in another season or two when everyone has the opportunity to plan ahead for the additional expense. Not sure I would be a big fan of a 1 time boost to teams who might be in the red or close to it. What countrols would be in place to make sure those $$'s were used to sign draft picks and not go after an immediate impact FA?

Just looking through all the teams finances, every team currently has a positive balance after the media revenue was distributed, so I don't think it would even be necessary to give teams any money. Philly and Toronto both lost money last season and could be headed to problems in the future, but just about everyone else in the league has a pretty good stash of cash.
avatar
San Diego

Posts : 516
Join date : 2009-10-23
Location : Laveen, AZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  San Diego on June 17th 2010, 4:32 pm

Id like to get some more votes/conversation on this before the draft rolls around as right now its only slightly favoring yes 5-4.

Just to add a little more info to the discussion...

A no vote means the computer automatically signs your draft picks to their bonus demands.

A yes vote means GM's control the offers to the picks.

I don't believe there is a way to actually turn off the draft bonus demands.
avatar
San Diego

Posts : 516
Join date : 2009-10-23
Location : Laveen, AZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  Ed-Winnipeg on June 17th 2010, 6:50 pm

From the OOTP11 Manual: If the [Enable Advanced Draftee Signing] box is checked, OOTP will use its advanced draftee signing feature. This feature forces teams to negotiate with and sign drafted players to contracts. If this box is not checked, all drafted players will automatically sign minor league contracts with the team that drafted them, and there are no signing bonuses. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp11/index.php?page=rules#amateur_draft_rules
avatar
Ed-Winnipeg

Posts : 80
Join date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  San Diego on June 17th 2010, 7:20 pm

Ed-Las Vegas wrote:From the OOTP11 Manual: If the [Enable Advanced Draftee Signing] box is checked, OOTP will use its advanced draftee signing feature. This feature forces teams to negotiate with and sign drafted players to contracts. If this box is not checked, all drafted players will automatically sign minor league contracts with the team that drafted them, and there are no signing bonuses. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp11/index.php?page=rules#amateur_draft_rules

LoL thats pretty funny...Im at the draft screen in my test league and it states...

OOTP now supports more realistic first-year player drafts. If enables, teams have to negotiate a signing bonus and or a signing bonus with the picked player.(im assuming it means major league contracts and or bonuses since there are major league contracts). The players may choose to refuse to sign, entering the draft pool again the following year. Teams will receive a comp pick for players who do not sign prior to the deadline. The deadline is usually 2 months after the draft has concluded. If the advanced option is disabled, players will sign for the bonus demands automatically when picked. All these rules only apply to players picked in the first 5 rounds.

I've also done tests drafts and the players still display a signing bonus and my current balance still changes with the option turned off..

Pretty funny that the 2 sets of rules say completely opposite things lol...I think Steve must have written that part of the online manual during beta and forgotten to update it.
avatar
San Diego

Posts : 516
Join date : 2009-10-23
Location : Laveen, AZ

Back to top Go down

:)

Post  San Diego on June 17th 2010, 7:59 pm

If anyone else has some free time and wants to test this, please let me know of your results so that I can verify I'm not losing my mind...

But I'm pretty positive the signing bonuses are in play regardless of the option you choose, its just cheaper to have to advanced option turned off since they automatically sign for slot. With the advanced on, some guys demand more than slot, some less and some want a Big League contract.
avatar
San Diego

Posts : 516
Join date : 2009-10-23
Location : Laveen, AZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  San Diego on June 18th 2010, 2:58 pm

I think I may have come up with a compromise for the first year, let me know what you guys think...

I will cut the draft bonus baseline in half for this first year, so that the bonus demands will be much less than they usually are. Then next season we move back to the normal baseline and the normal bonus demands...

Thoughts?
avatar
San Diego

Posts : 516
Join date : 2009-10-23
Location : Laveen, AZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  bholmes4 on June 18th 2010, 4:18 pm

Works for me.
avatar
bholmes4

Posts : 158
Join date : 2010-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  Guest on June 18th 2010, 8:29 pm

San Diego wrote:
BradZ wrote:I could see instituting these in another season or two when everyone has the opportunity to plan ahead for the additional expense. Not sure I would be a big fan of a 1 time boost to teams who might be in the red or close to it. What countrols would be in place to make sure those $$'s were used to sign draft picks and not go after an immediate impact FA?

Just looking through all the teams finances, every team currently has a positive balance after the media revenue was distributed, so I don't think it would even be necessary to give teams any money. Philly and Toronto both lost money last season and could be headed to problems in the future, but just about everyone else in the league has a pretty good stash of cash.

Philadelphia should be ok after this season when the salary bill will be cut in half, 3 of the Liberty's highest earners will become free agents and highly doubtful they will be offered new contracts.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Draft pick signing bonuses...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum